Search This Blog

Saturday, April 27, 2013

I Had Surgery!

On Wednesday April 24th I checked into the hospital for surgery. I was born with a deviated septum that kept getting worse in the past few years due to my Lupus. I had even developed an ulcer on the septum in my left nostril. The ulcer was something that baffled my doctor, he'd never seen a nasal ulcer brought on by lupus. For about 5 yrs the ulcer grew larger and was on the verge of breaking through the septum to the other side. There was no more waiting around to see what happens. He said the deviation was causing the ulcer to grow larger and had to be fixed.
So back to Wednesday 24th! I woke up at 5am and was at the hospital at 6am checking in. Around 8am they called me in and hooked me up to an IV.




I thought that I was close to being taken in for surgery. I was hooked up the IV and in a hospital gown...boy was I wrong! My doctor does all his surgeries on Wednesdays. Since he's an ear, nose & throat Dr. he gets a lot of tonsillectomies and does all those first. He has all his patients arrive at the same time and organizes them that morning. After he finished all the tonsillectomies, about 10 total, I was next. My surgery was supposed to take about 40 minutes but because of the ulcer it took over an hour. My doctor was able to completely repair my deviated septum & was able to repair the ulcer completely!!! I don't know how he fixed the ulcer, but I swear he's got magical hands!
I've never had a good reaction to anesthesia, I always come out of it crying hysterically. I always remember the crying but never the funny conversations. Apparently I went to Disneyland where I was all the Princesses & my nephew was all the Knights, lmao! 😳 My parents also said I kept pointing to the nurses and telling them they were pretty.
They kept me for a long time in post surgery recovery because my blood pressure was real high. They had to give me a concoction of pain reliever & an anti anxiety shot into my IV to calm me down. I don't remember much after that shot other than I felt really good, lol.
Healing instructions are as follows:
-Rinse nostrils with ocean water saline nasal spray.
-Replace drip pads as often as needed.
-Don't bend over.
-Don't pick up anything over 5lbs.
-No solid foods for 2 weeks.
-Sleep in an upright position.
They prescribed me Vicodin for the pain and an anti nausea medication.
My whole body is in extreme pain and my face is very swollen.




Photo was taken right after I was released from the hospital. The gauze is my drip pad.



The next few weeks will be very crazy and painful. I may or may not blog the healing process.


Love Always, Jesselle

No comments:

Post a Comment